PI: Karthish Manthiram
Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Stanford University, 2017
Joseph Maalouf is a Ph.D. candidate in Chemical Engineering. His research focuses on understanding how to sustainably synthesize useful monomers for single use plastics out of basic chemical building blocks, such as water and air, using electrochemistry. His work in this area has been published in JACS and ACS Catalysis. He is also a 2019 Paul and Daisy Soros Fellow for New Americans and a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow. Joseph received a Bachelor of Science in Chemical engineering with honors and distinction from Stanford University. Joseph has been active in contributing to the chemical department to try to mentor and provide support for underrepresented minorities. He founded a student led group in Chemical Engineering to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion that has led application assistant mentoring programs and helped develop implicit bias training for incoming students. Joseph hopes to continuing supporting and mentoring students throughout his time at MIT and his career afterwards.
- Park, J., Jin, K., Sahsrabudhe, A., Chiang, P., Maalouf, J. H., Rai, S., … Anikeeva, P.(2019) In situ Electrochemical Generation of Nitric Oxide for Spatiotemporally Precise Neuronal Modulation. Nat. Nanotechnology. 2020
- Maalouf, J. H.; Jin, K.; Yang, D.; Limaye, A. M.; Manthiram, K. Kinetic Analysis of Electrochemical Lactonization of Ketones Using Water as the Oxygen Atom Source. ACS Catal. 2020, 10, 5750–5756.
- Jin, K.; Maalouf, J.; Lazouski, N.; Corbin, N.; Yang, D.; Manthiram, K. Epoxidation of Cyclooctene Using Water as the Oxygen Atom Source at Manganese Oxide Electrocatalysts. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 6413–6418.
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellow – 2019
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship – 2017
- Fredrick Emmons Terman Engineering Scholastic Award – Stanford University, 2017
- President’s Award for Academic Excellence in the Freshman Year – Stanford University, 2013